1 derogatory term for a variation that is not genuine; something irregular or inferior or of dubious origin; "the architecture was a kind of bastard suggesting Gothic but not true Gothic" [syn: bastard]
- Someone of mixed kind or uncertain origin, especially a
- That dog is a mongrel, who knows what breed it could be!
- Dutch: bastaard
- Finnish: rakki, piski
- German: Mischling ; dog (colloq.): Promenadenmischung
- Italian: bastardo
- Japanese: 雑種 (zasshu)
- Russian: дворняга /dvorn'ága/
- Spanish: chucho
Mongrel refers to mixed ancestry:
- Among pets, one whose parentage is of unknown or mixed breeds as opposed to purebred
- Among dogs, this is also called a mutt or a mixed-breed dog. Owners of mixed-breeds in the USA refer to their dogs as "All American" when involved in competitive sports.
- A mongrel cat is referred to as a moggy in Australia and the United Kingdom.
- "Mongrel" is a derogatory epithet in Australia. It is generally used to refer to an ill-bred man; a man of poor manners or morals.
Cape Colored, Eurasian, animal, bastard, beast, cattalo, citrange, cross, crossbred, crossbreed, crossed, cur, dog, griffe, half blood, half-bred, half-breed, half-caste, high yellow, hinny, hound, hybrid, hyena, insect, interbred, ladino, liger, lurcher, mestee, mestiza, mestizo, metis, metisse, mixblood, mixed-blood, mulatto, mule, mustee, mutt, octoroon, pariah dog, pig, plumcot, polecat, quadroon, quintroon, reptile, sambo, serpent, skunk, snake, swine, tangelo, tigon, varmint, vermin, viper, whelp, worm, zebrass, zebrule